Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Tuesdays With Dorie - Parisian Apple Tartlet

Holy s**t! I did it.
Jessica of My Baking Heart picked Dorie 's Parisian Apple Tartlet for this Tuesday's recipe.

After basically making a similarly buttery and decadent danish dough most of the morning at work, I came home to find out my recipe for the evening was simple, if I used store-bought puff pastry. I remembered I had a "quick puff pastry" recipe from class, that I successfully used for my final, and making it sounded a lot more enjoyable than getting back in the car and driving around town looking for an all-butter frozen sort. I pulled it together and it was perfect. I totally surprised myself at how good it turned out, and it took only about two hours. So easy, and flaky flaky, really.

Here's the recipe for the quick puff pastry.

Quick Puff Pastry:

10 oz of unsalted butter
1/2 cup of cold water
1 tsp salt
9 oz of AP flour

1. Cut 8 oz of butter into 1/2 to 1/4 inch cubes, place on a plate and place in the freezer while you pull the rest together.

2. Measure water and add salt; stir to dissolve and set aside

3. Coarsely dice remaining butter. Place flour in work bowl of food processor, fitted with the metal blade; add the 2 oz of butter and pulse until butter is absorbed - about 10-12, 1-second pulses.

4. Add the remaining butter from the freezer and pulse once or twice to distribute. Add the water and pulse 3 or 4 times, just until dough forms a rough ball -- don't over-process.

5. Flour your work surface and scrape dough from the work bowl. Shape dough into a rough rectangle and place between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Press down with a rolling pin to flatten, then roll back and forth several times with the rolling pin to make a 12" x 18-inch rectangle of dough.

6. Peel away the plastic wrap and invert the dough to the floured work surface. Peel away the second piece of wrap. Fold dough in thirds in the width, folding the top third down and the bottom third up, to make a 4" x 18-inch rectangle. Roll up the dough from one of the 4-inch ends, making sure to roll the end under the dough. Press the dough into a square, wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.

After that I rolled it out to about a 1/4 inch and used a cookie cutter to make the circles. If you want to know about the apple part, you'll need to buy the book, which is totally worth it.


❦❦❦

No comments: