Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cupcakes (iron-esque)

I saw these cupcakes on the cover of Bon Appétit over a year ago and have been wanting to make them ever since. I joined "Iron Cupcake" a baking challenge involving...cupcakes...but I decided to just make the cupcakes and not officially join the group. I'm sticking with Daring Bakers and Tuesdays with Dorie for now.

So these are regular yellow cupcakes, lemon-flavored with seedless raspberry jam in the center.

Here's the bottom and the jam part:

I covered the top with another scoop of batter and then tossed them in the oven. Next time, I'll make a well and put the jam on the inside so it doesn't squish out the side, which is what happened with these. They baked up nice and flat-ish, so the icing will go on well.
























Half with lemon icing, half with raspberry-lemon icing...
























Topped some with raspberries...they were okay, but I wish the cupcake was a bit moister. Next time I'll add an egg yolk to the batter, and bake them in foil wrappers so you can't see the line of jam. Cupcakes are easy and fun, so don't pay $4.00 for one. You can do it yourself with any cake batter. Just cut the baking time down to about 15 minutes.

...could be better, which means making them again. Fun!

☂☂☂

No comments: