Saturday, February 28, 2009

Daring Bakers February Challenge

Edit: In viewing other folks' challenges I see the texture of my cake is absolutely nothing like it was supposed to be. I either over-baked the cake, over-whipped the whites, or both. I should try it again for sure.

I guess I just love flour. This chocolate cake was more fun to play with than it was to eat. The cake making part was easy, although I may have over-whipped my whites. I would have liked it to be more dense and sweet. I wasn't able to pull off the homemade ice cream; I don't have a maker, so I went with whipped cream.

The February 2009 challenge is hosted by Wendy of WMPE's blog and Dharm of Dad ~ Baker & Chef. We have chosen a Chocolate Valentino cake by Chef Wan; a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Dharm and a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Wendy as the challenge.

I love these challenges so far. If it weren't for them I'd rest on my laurels and make cookies over and over. Being a member pushes me to try new stuff and to try and make it look nice.

There were several incarnations:

A sandwich-y thing with whipped cream and a chocolate pear:


A flowery thing with several chocolate-d fruits


The one I was most happy with reminded me of an egg.


The close-up:



❀❀❀

12 comments:

bache said...

I love the flowers :)

Fahrenheit 350° said...

That is a great Easter idea! Chocolate is good all year round of course!

Sara said...

Beautiful photos! :)

Audax Artifex said...

Yes I like the egg thingy the best. Sorry to hear it wasn't the best result but the whole point of DBers is to do recipes outside our comfort zones and acquiring new skills. Good that you completed the challenge. Yours from Audax in Australia.

anjelikuh said...

your valentinos look so cute! The egg-look-alikes are my favorite :D

Lisa said...

I like the different takes on the cake. I also like those chocolate fruits. Who needs real fruit in that case? LOL Well done!

ARLENE said...

The egg is adorable. You should have seen my first challenge. I've made cream puffs and eclairs all my life, but this time they were a disaster!

raquel said...

i actually love the one that looks like an egg! :) gives me a good excuse to have it for breakfast! great job!

Pamela said...

what fun, cute cakes great Easter cakes

Dragon said...

So pretty. Great job on this month's challenge!

ice tea: sugar high said...

So cuteeee.. love the egg & flower thing. Adorable!

teafactory said...

Cute! I love your presentation!