Thursday, January 29, 2009

Daring Bakers January Challenge

I completed my first Daring Baker's challenge: Tuiles. Lucky for me, I had made them before and I had the guiding words of Jennifer our chef in my head.

This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.


First there was the practice batch, where I tried to mold them into a severe cup shape, but ended up tearing them. Maybe they were too thick? Too cool to mold? I ended up having a couple flattish ones, onto which I scooped some small balls of ice cream, but it wasn't the look I was going for. The kids and Bryan got to be the recipients of those attempts.

I had one successful bowl-like one that didn't tear and when I looked at it empty, I saw a kind of flower, which gave me the idea to pipe out some leaves. I had bought some Neapolitan ice cream, because I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the colors, plating, and I wanted options. I settled with pink and added a raspberry, just because. Voila!

Thanks for the motivation, bakers!

✈✈✈

8 comments:

Lauren said...

Your tuiles look wonderful, and I love the idea of a flower =D.

Dragon said...

Welcome to Daring Bakers! Great job on this month's challenge.

Jenny said...

I really love the piped leaves. Nice concept!

TeaLady said...

Love the little flower bowl. Very creative. And welcome to DB.

Eat4Fun said...

Congratulations on completing your first DB Challenge! Very cool flower and petal. The practice batch look good too.

Anonymous said...

As a first time DB, I feel your pain. My husband, like your kids, enjoyed very much the reject plate. :) I think your end result looks great! Good luck next month.

Vera said...

Perfect tuiles! Congratulations on the first completed challenge! And welcome to DB!

Jacque said...

Oooh, your little tuile cup is perfect. The leaves are so cute and a perfect touch.

Welcome to DB!