Monday, November 10, 2008

The Last Days of Pie (edit: recipe added)

The pie shop I've been baking for is moving to its new kitchen this week or next, so my focus will be changing from rolling dough, preparing fillings, and baking pies to those of a more typical bakery variety: Croissant, pain au chocolat, danish, baguette, challah, muffins, tartlettes, quiche, empenadas, etc. I like knowing that my future baking and bakery-running skills will have been learned from the guy I'm currently working for.

I've had two awesome baking mentors, D and A who will be moving over to the new kitchen along with the pie. I thank them for their kind encouragement, patience, and pie-making instruction skills. When I was learning to roll out the dough, I watched D intently and by following her lead, I am able to roll (mostly) nice round crusts. A showed me how to efficiently make enormous batches of delicious pastry cream and other tasty assorted fillings, cheering me on every day. I love working with cool women.

Tonight I re-made the pumpkin cake thingy, but this time in ramekins. It looks about 17340987140938740137 times more appetizing than this version.

Pumpkin Pudding Cake (adapted from Stonewall Kitchen)
Ingredients:
2 cups A.P. flour
1.5 cups sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1.5 tsp vanilla
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, melted
2 cups pecans chopped well
1 jar (12 oz or so) pumpkin butter

Directions
• Grease ramekins (I used 6 small and 2 medium)
• Preheat oven to 325º
• Excluding the pumpkin butter, mix all the ingredients together
• Spread batter into the pan
• Spread pumpkin butter over batter
• Bake until it feels firm to the touch
(30-35 minutes small/med ramekins +/- 45 minutes in 9x13 pan)
• Cool before serving
• Serve with whipped cream

No comments: