Saturday, August 23, 2008

Pseudo Marimekko Cake



We decorated our wedding/celebration cakes today - the day that will go down as the day the word "shit" was muttered most often. We were tense and excited and worried, but we all performed well and everyone's cakes were lovely and amazing and creative and appetizing. We each got to take our top tier home with us.

Here's my cake; it's inspired by a Marimekko print from the 1980s: a chiffon cake with raspberry jam and chocolate chip butter cream. The top is three layers and the bottom is two. The colors are a bit off; I wanted the brown to be blacker, but there was no black so it looks far more 70s than I wanted.

Wednesday I baked up the cake layers and made the butter cream, so I had from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm today to do the rest: Add the chocolate chips to the butter cream, fill and crumb coat the cake, make the fondant, cover the cake, stack the cake, color the fondant, cut the fondant, decorate the cake and present it. I was finished at exactly 3:00. I'm not sure how that worked out.

Oh, and you won't want to eat fondant again after I tell you how it's made. Blech.

At the end of the program students can ask to be assigned an to a month-long externship. I was waiting to ask for one until I have my hours for my jobs all settled, but the owner was in today and asked to speak with me about my plans. I told her about my school idea and that I'd like to work with the bakery that partners with Mission Pie/Mission High School. It's funny because my parents' friends, CC and JC, referred me to the same guy and I didn't even know it was the same program. Anyway, long story short, I'm hoping for an externship and perhaps eventually a part-time job at the bakery. Funny how things work out when I don't push at them.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

That looks so great!! I'm totally impressed!!