Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Pâte à Choux

Tonight we made pâte à choux - which translates into cabbage paste, mainly because when it bakes it puffs up to look like a cabbage, and before it bakes it has the consistency of paste. Those French folks make everything sound beautiful.

Anyway, it's formed into balls (profiteroles) or tubes (eclairs) and can be fried (fritters) or baked and filled with a pastry creme. I need to practice with the pastry bag a bit more. I was moving body and my arms into all kinds of funky angles which just begs for carpel tunnel. The pastry bag is definitely a skill that I need to practice regularly. There are so many different things to make with it.

My eclairs were tasty considering it was my first time making them. The creme sweet but not too, and the pâte à choux crisp but not crunchy. Bryan liked them although he said the dough part was a little oily and I have to agree with him on that. I think I did too much mixing at some point in the process, which can cause the dough to separate from the butter/oil.

Note to self: Less mixing next time.

No comments: