Thursday, April 24, 2008

Exchange with a genius

The other day I was listening to Fresh Air when I recognized one of the "musical interludes." It was an old rock steady song I used to hear when I worked at the bar, but I couldn't remember who sang it. I emailed my old friend MG who is an expert in Jamaican music and the email exchange went a little something like this:

Me: Can you identify this song for me? "We're having a party...etc etc, bop bop a lu la, bop bop a lu, bop bop a lu la bop." If you can't get it from that I can call and sing it to you, which obviously isn't my first preference.

A short time later...

MG: The song is "Music Like Dirt" by Desmond Dekker (winner of the 1968 Jamaica Festival Song Competition), and I've attached it for your convenience.

So I played the attachment et voila! that was it. And here it is for you...

Genius I tell you. Genius.

No comments: