Monday, February 11, 2008

Hi Ho, Hi Ho...

What's new...hmmmmmm...I got a job!

I'm going to be teaching two English classes, at the high school where I first began my teaching career. It's going to work out well in terms of the flexibility and time it will afford me, while keeping me on my toes in the adolescent education arena. If/when I get into the PhD program, I'll be able to work there while attending classes for the first two years, which is essential. I also read that this school is planning a career and technical education (the new word for vocational education) culinary program. That marvelousness has not yet begun, they break ground on the building this summer, but the opportunity it might afford is staggering.

When I left my last teaching position I was a basket case and that's putting it mildly. I put way to much pressure on myself to be "the absolute best" teacher and it really drove me crazy; the sad thing is that because I was so bats**t, I ended up accomplishing the opposite. My goal for this job, is to keep my head. Having just the two classes is a great way for me to practice that. It's not as if I'm not going to try to do a good job or be a good teacher, that would be silly, it's just that(as my mom so eloquently put it) I'm not going to make this part time job into a full time job. My confidence at being able to keep it together is getting stronger by the day, and I am excited to see what a calmer, more centered me can bring to the position.

No comments: