Monday, July 16, 2007

A couple of days after July 14th

There's been a lot going on in my life, no lie, and it's giving me the writer's block. So much to discuss, so many feelings that I feel overwhelmed with trying to get it all down. Here is an overly brief summary of some of the things that have been happening:

Edmund: A dear old friend Ed died July 3rd after a year's battle with pancreatic cancer. His wife and family were gracious enough to allow me a final visit with him the Sunday prior, which also gave me a chance to visit with his mum and dad, whom I hadn't seen for quite some time. Although Ed was the brother of a former boyfriend/husband and current good friend, I considered him a comrade and confidant when I lived in SF. Ed, to me was a social wonder. He made everyone around him laugh, feel comfortable and at ease. I spent a lot of time at Ed's in the early-ish 90s and he always made me feel welcome and loved as part of his family. At the celebration of his life, which was held in the beautiful inter-faith chapel at the Presidio, Ed's friends and family shared stories, experiences and jokes about him and his very rich and full life. There were a lot of tears shed, but there was also a lot of laughter. Songs were written and sung for Ed and a slideshow with accompanying favorite music ended the celebration. Ed was loved and I'll miss him.

Beauty: I sat on a lake in a kayak, staring at a shimmering ginkgo tree for a while.

J and Pancakes: Got to have casual breakfast with J at a tasty place near her house. It was fun to catch up and see her lovely J face. smile.

Swimming Lessons: Remember the aforementioned swimming lessons? Done. I had to run past two pre-occupied, chatting lifeguards to dive into the pool and save Isaac from drowning. He's totally fine and got "back on the horse" but I'm not feeling too positive about the city's summer program offerings.

Aunt Pat: I got to meet a member of Bryan's family. His dad's sister from Texas. She was really sweet and now Bryan and I have a habit of saying "thank you" in a mellow, southern, Aunt Pat drawl.

The decision: France or Portland. Still in the chute. Anyone care to weigh in?

No comments: