Saturday, June 16, 2007

GTD

In honor of my new way of GTD (Getting Things Done), I propose to empty my thoughts out here, so as to allow space for other stuff: Thinking, ruminating, planning to occur. I'm making lists again. This time with the GTD philosophy which I kind of already used to do, but more out of the necessity of writing it down so I don't forget it. Sometimes I really miss the details of stuff, really important stuff.

I had my last day of work and, as I mentioned to a couple of now former co-workers, I needed to get through graduation and deal with all of those emotions before I could move on to the next set, with moving and planning and buying plane tickets etc. I was moved today by those kids; I always have been. I walked among the waiting students, formed up and ready to go, hugging some, giving small words of encouragement, often feeling like my words were inadequate for what I was trying to convey. I know that some of them will stay in my mind for a long time - not out of worry - but out of inspiration. I want good things for them and I hope they are able to stay on the trajectory of positive-ness. I teared-up pretty much consistently from 9:00 am to 2:00ish when it was all over. Not sad, just emotional and like I said, moved. Specifically, one student's rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner" was the most beautiful performance ever, and if you know me at all you know I'm no jingoist. I wept through that as well. Wow...thanks for that.

On the France front, things seem to be going smoothly thus far: Health insurance for all; money; living arrangements; list-making. I'm trying to focus on all the small phone call, paper copying, filing, organizing stuff this next week and then on the packing, sorting, dividing and conquering stuff in the last week of June.

I'm reading again - magazines, GTD, and Kitchen Confidential which I just love. Easy to read, interesting and fun. Another item on my list is choosing books to read over the winter months abroad. To narrow them all down is difficult but I have promised myself that I am going to get through the Quixote this time.

One more thing, I'm going to try to keep my same sleep schedule. Not as manic as when I was working but still early. I got so much done before 8:00 am every day that I'd like to keep that habit. I'm trying to convince Bryan to do the same. Oh my...that's it...I've turned into my mom. You know...GTD.

No comments: