Saturday, June 10, 2006

...I guess that makes it all right...

I left for my bike ride after we put the kids down at 9:15. It was so light that it looked like it was about 6:00 pm California time, no lie. I rode through the quiet streets of our neighborhood, down to the ferry terminal, along the port and the front de mer and then along the plage of the grande conche. There, people were out in force: eating dinner, eating ice cream, eating pizza on the beach, swimming, drinking beers, walking, sitting, talking. It was calm but energetic. When Bryan and I were in a French seaside town here four summers ago we were amazed at how safe it felt in the large crowds of vacationers. Everyone is out for a good time, minus the rowdiness, very civilized, very, well, French. There's kids and old women and teenagers and families all hanging out together in the same places. Once I got to the end of the beach, I turned around to come home and I got to look out over the river/ocean at the lights of the commerce along the water and the sun finally setting. I was content. Summer has arrived and it is beautiful.

1 comment:

Aunt Bo said...

Sounds beautiful! Miss you!